April 13, 2015

Lemon Biscotti

Happy Birthday to meeeee! This Saturday I turned 30. Most of my adult life, I haven't quite dreaded reaching that landmark age, but haven't exactly been thrilled at the prospect. Thirty seemed old. Not ancient, but "mature". Like by the time I hit that big three-oh, I should be all settled down and boring. I should be done with my youngster shenanigans, turn my music down, quit fan-girling over British actors, Indian movies, and Japanese cartoons, and feel thirty. Surprise surprise, I'm not done, and I don't feel thirty! But now I have a reason to be thrilled to death about turning thirty, because now I am officially old enough to adopt our little girl from China! THAT is something worth celebrating! And guess what? I've still got plenty of youngster shenanigans to go, and if I don't feel thirty, well, China doesn't need to know that, do they? :)

I truly meant to post this recipe last week, but I was too busy having a fabulous birthday week and going through a 48-hour emotional adoption rollercoaster. (More on that later) On Tuesday The Geologist and I got surprise tickets to go to a hockey game (go Avalanche!!), we had two of our four homestudy visits, Friday we had a birthday lunch date at a beautiful "country Japanese" restaurant for ramen, my favoritest food, in a beautiful Japanese garden courtyard, and on Saturday my parents came up to play games, bringing a scrumptious Hummingbird Cake (which I will be making for you SOON! Yum!!) which was a very good thing, because I burned my Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake. :( The Geologist gave me tickets to a Lindsey Stirling concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater (that's kind of a huge deal, lol), Mom gave my a Lindsey Stirling hoodie, which I never want to take off, and a handmade glass star. Not sure if it counts as stained glass, because it's clear, but I love it. To top off a perfect birthday, I bought myself those burgundy Vans sneakers I've been coveting, so Kate and I have matching shoes!! Yup, a very good birthday. And you had to know I'd give you something lemon, because lemon everything is my favorite. And it's Spring-y!


Lemon Biscotti
Printable Recipe

6 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tb lemon zest (from 2 large lemons or 3 small ones)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
5-6 tsp fresh lemon juice (from your zested lemons)
pinch of salt

Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, lemon extract, and vanilla, and beat till combined. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix till smooth. (If the dough is really soft and sticky, add another 1/4 cup of flour. It should be the consistency of cookie dough.)

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Dump dough onto paper and shape dough into a long log, about 13-15 inches long, and 4-5 inches wide. Smooth the top as much as possible with your fingers.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Tap the top to check, it should be hard. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully slice into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces with a sharp knife. Turn them on their sides and put back in the oven.

Bake 18-20 more minutes. Remove and cool completely before drizzling with glaze. For the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt together until smooth and drizzle-y. Drizzle on cooled biscotti. Allow to set (about 20-30 minutes)- or refrigerate to "speed set" the glaze. Store biscotti in airtight containers!
Ah, biscotti, my favorite crunchy cookie! How I have missed you. Although, this may be my new favorite biscotti recipe. Lemony lemon biscotti!
 Lightly sweet lemon cookies, crunchy yet tender, with a punch of bright, tart, lemon sunshine from the glaze. A total cinch to make, and a perfect Spring treat!

8 comments :

  1. Mmmm, the perfect birthday dessert! Happy birthday!!!!!!!! And good luck / extra energy for you for the adoption process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can use all the luck and energy you can wish my way :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! And Lindsy Stirling! Talk about Fan girling! WOW! I love her! I love violins period, but I loooove her! How lucky are you! I hit 40 last year and I was really bummed out about it, but I am still me and weird and fun. At least my step-daughter says so. She says she is always almost peeing her pants cause I make her laugh so hard. Stay you! Enjoy 30 to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! That is high praise from your step-daughter! My husband is the hilarious one in our family, but I'd like to think I'm still pretty fun. :) I wish I could take you to the concert with me, isn't Lindsey the greatest?! She's amazing!! I'm SO lucky!!

      Delete
  3. How did I miss your birthday. :-( Feeling really sad about that. Sounds like you had a great week in any case. Love you and miss you. Can't wait for September! I have my calendar marked! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Don't feel sad!! I'm pretty sure I missed yours, all caught up in this adoption info storm in my poor overloaded brain, so we're even. :) I can't wait to see you in September too!! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, April, these are wonderful! Two of my favorite things, lemon and biscotti, combined into one! I love all the things you got/got to do for your birthday, but for me, the two best were hockey and hummingbird cake! ;)

    Thank you for sharing all of these with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you think so Joy! Two of my favorite things too! :) I LOVED this hummingbird cake, I've always wanted to try one and that recipe was perfection. I'm going to have to make it myself and get it on this blog!

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)